RSS

Sherry Melby is a bigot

Tue, Sep 1, 2009

Bigots

evolution

Charles R Darwin, is there anything good in Missouri? Came across this link via Richard Dawkins’ twitter. Briefly, Smith-Cotton High School’s marching band created the above t-shirt for its players to wear to promote their fall program. No sooner had the band debuted the t-shirts at the Missouri State Fair parade when complaints by “concerned parents” (including the eponymous Sherry Melby) trickled in.

The public school, naturally enough, caved in and forced the band members to turn in their shirts. What really had me blowing milk out my nose was the statement by Assistant Superintendent Brad Pollitt: “The district is required by law to remain neutral where religion is concerned. If the shirts had said ‘Brass Resurrections’ and had a picture of Jesus on the cross, we would have done the same thing,” he said.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let’s rewind here, people. “WHERE RELIGION IS CONCERNED”? Where does this knuckle-dragging, boneheaded jerkwad get off conflating “magical zombie man myth for retards” with “the observable fact of changes in populations of biological organisms over time”?

And Melby’s statement that “[she] [doesn’t] think evolution should be associated with our school.” is hilarious. Imagine! The horror! Associating BASIC SCIENCE with an institution tasked with the instruction of young people in same! How could the local board of education live with itself?

The answer to that question is, sadly, “pretty easily”. I’ll pass the baton of outrage to PZ Myers on this one. I’ve got milk to buy.

, , , ,

14 Responses to “Sherry Melby is a bigot”

1. Jim Says:

I just can’t believe that this school district is so systematically ignorant of both religion and science. Just amazing.

2. Andrew Says:

I’d like to see what she teaches.

3. Izam Says:

Is there anything good in Missouri? I resent that, sir. I go to Washington University in St Louis, which is ranked 13th in US News and World Report’s “Best Undergrad Schools in America,” and 6th (tied with Yale) in the Grad School list.

There’s also the Delmar Loop, which was voted to be one of the best 10 streets in America.

4. Brad Says:

Dear God,

Please, save me from your followers.

Amen.

5. Matt Says:

I understand your view. I’m in the band. I also believe that evolution is obviously not a religion, and it should likewise be taught in schools. That being said, I am horribly offended that you are so intolerable of other people’s beliefs. You are just as much a bigot as any of the people you mention on this sight. “…myth for retards” What a hypocrit you are….bigot…

• Susan Stanko Says:

I think you mean intolerant.

• peter Says:

The point above is simple. Evolution is not about religion or politics. People who study in the scientific field are tired of hearing people badmouth science and evolution.

The reality of religion is it really is nothing more than “magical zombie man myth”. We are at a point where we will not be quiet about these issues, especially on the internet. Do not ask us for respect for religion anymore, because we will not provide it as long as you and others will treat us and logic itself with blatant disrespect and ignorance.

6. Matt Says:

I meant…site*

• admin Says:

I’ll call them as I see them.

Notice I’m not forcing any teenagers to remove t-shirts which reference scientific theories. I’m just writing some words on a blog about “stuff I reckon.”

7. CherryTeresa Says:

It would be like if they had a picture of the round earth and some people who still thought the Earth was flat (because of their religious beliefs) were offended.

8. mary Says:

wow.

what are they teaching these kids then? no science & math. booo to technology? do they sit in the dark? not use computers? really…

9. Jimmy Says:

PZ Meyers is the biggest bigot of them all, and your “Missouri is full of dimwitted bible-thumping hicks” makes you a bigot as well. Read the Richard Dawkins is a bigot post while you’re at it. Bigot.

10. Becky Says:

Message to Professor PZ Myers:

You don’t threaten me.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] pulled the link and read Dick’s tirade, and as much of a fan of Dick’s writings and wider work as I am, I had to agree. Matt was […]