RSS

Dr. Ted Baehr is a bigot

Tue, Sep 15, 2009

Bigots

I was reading this news article today. It discusses the fact that “Creation”, the new movie about the life of Charles Darwin has failed to secure a US distributor, as his theory of evolution has been deemed “too controversial” for American audiences. When I was done weeping over that particular extreme fact of Fail (which probably deserves an isabigot.com post of its own–though “American movie audiences” feels like too broad a target for one), I decided to investigate the assertion the article made concerning Movieguide.org. Specifically:

Christian review website Movieguide.org has branded Darwin as “a racist, a bigot and a 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder”.

After a little searching on Movieguide.org, I found the reference, here. It’s illustrative to reprint the referenced paragraph in its entirety:

DARWIN’S RACISTS – YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW exposes the real Charles Darwin: a racist, a bigot and 1800’s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder. This well written book shows that Adolf Hitler, along with other genocidal mass murderers, was influenced by Darwin’s half-baked Theory of Evolution. This book exposes Darwin’s Theory of Evolution for what it is: an elitist and racist dogma that has infiltrated our every area of culture thereby undermining sense and sensibility.

See, this was one of those cases where I had figured the article was making inflated claims, or decontextualizing a statement inappropriately. Nope. Turns out the source material is being referenced euphemistically, if anything. So what the fuck is Movieguide.org’s deal? Originally a biweekly journal, it was founded by M. Robert E. Theodore Baehr, a manifestly insane right-wing fundamentalist Christian nutjob if ever there were one. He currently serves as its publisher and Editor-in-Chief. While the site’s stated mission is “helping parents use informed judgment when deciding what entertainment products are suitable for their families’ enjoyment” (noxious enough), its real job is, as evidenced, the dissemination of right wing Christian hate speech.

And it doesn’t stop there.

Baehr’s public relations company, “Kairos Marketing”, is apparently in the business of accepting payment for “consulting and promotional activities” on behalf of movies “reviewed” in Movieguide. Movies for which payment are accepted are always reviewed positively. If Kairos is not strictly speaking part of Good News Communications (the non-profit that publishes Movieguide), Kairos does “donate” to Good News Communications, and both organizations have the same face on the flag. It’s a clear example of Baehr using the site’s popularity with vagina farm Bible-hugging lunatics to feather his own nest. A hilariously familiar story that grows even more comical when you realize that Movieguide.org is desperately attempting to portray itself as some morally righteous “Hollywood watchdog.” When Baehr got totally busted in 2004 for his two-faced shilling (by a fellow Christian rag, no less), his response served as testimony to the lawyer he once was:

“We’ve lent our expertise to many movies – gratis, for the sake of helping God’s kingdom advance in this industry. In a few cases, after we approve of and review the movie according to our stringent criteria, we have been remunerated for our services through a sister organization set up for this purpose to help underwrite the extra time these promotional efforts required.”

Nice job, Doctor Goebbels. I mean Baehr. Drop us a line if you ever want to stop lying, being a greedy shill, poisoning people’s minds with filth, and publishing slanderous attacks on brilliant scientists who happen to be long dead. We’ll give you a job in our legal department.

Shining shoes.

, , , , , , , ,

49 Responses to “Dr. Ted Baehr is a bigot”

1. admin Says:

Thanks for that, Einstein.

2. REV. Todd Bayer Says:

Baehr is a complete idiot. Apparently he is also a closetted homosexual but I dont know if that is true or not.

• Bryan Canada Says:

I personally met Ted and can’t believe these brutal comments. Sounds like you guys do everybody elses thing and not your own. Very uncool. Try walking a mile in a man’s shoes before even opening yer mouth. Take away cops you couldn’t walk into a food store nobody would grow anything would be so crazy. Take away Christianity you wouldn’t have the security of a good country to act like moron’s slamming a hard working man like you do. Buzz of to a 3rd world country quit sucking off everyone’s hard work here.

• Movieguide are morons Says:

100% agreed. Baehr should kill himself.

3. JAYE Says:

Ted Baehr is doing a great job. I am glad to see he is stirring up the stew, it shows there is a little life left in the pot.

• admin Says:

Nice to see someone so comfortable openly celebrating facism and slander.

• movieguidesucks Says:

I’m sorry JAYE, but you are a brainwashed idiotic conservative. Ted Dickface must be stopped before he possesses the world with his christian, rascist, anti-gay, anti-EVERYTHING, pro-palin bullshit. He said “The Last Airbender” was more inapproiate than “Predators” because, of reincarnation or some shit. Jesus Christ.

4. Mark Says:

I know someone who used to work for Ted Baehr. He requires his employees to call him “Dr.” Baehr, even though he is neither an MD nor a Ph.D. Baehr bullies his employees and even threatens them with violence. He’s a charlatan and an egomaniac. It’s a shame he misguides so many sincere, well-meaning Christians with messages of hate and self-righteousness.

• Vincit Verita Says:

Ted graduated summa cum laude in Comparative Literature and as a Rufus Choate Scholar from Dartmouth College. He then received a Juris Doctor degree from the New York University School of Law, where he served as Editor of the NYU Law School newspaper. I think calling him Dr. is appropriate.

• It's true Says:

I did work for Movieguide and Ted Baehr and his evil witch of a wife lily. They are both batshit crazy and everything you have posted here is 100% true. He is the biggest hypocrite I have ever met and he treats him employees like slaves. So glad I was fired for no reason other than he didn’t like me. :)

• iagree Says:

“It’s True”…I don’t know who you are but I couldn’t agree more. I’m was “Dr. Baehr’s” former assistant and had a completely awful and nearly traumatizing experience working at MG. Working under a complete narcissist and egomaniac was awful enough in itself, let along the fact his family members were there creating an awfully dysfunctional family environment mixed with business and profit. I honestly am still working through the effects of working in such a toxic environment. I don’t want to “hate” on other people, but I am profoundly negatively effected by my experience working at Movieguide and I don’t think what they are doing is right. They are part of the reason Christians are seen as judgmental and hypocritical…largely because Dr. B is one himself.

• DL Says:

I worked with Dr. Baehr and he only would use his first name, though he is older, with a higher degree and had authority over my work. I felt honored and appreciated while with the Movieguide team led by Ted.

5. Karen Carillo Says:

I love Movieguide.org it has helped me decide what movies to allow my children to see and what was not appropriate. I would like to know who decides the age allowed to see the content in certain movies, that decision should be up to the parents not Hollywood, that is why Ted Baehr’s input is VERY IMPORTANT to me!!

• Josh Gamble Says:

Is Ted Baehr the parent of your children? It sounds to me like you’re giving him the same power you claim it’s wrong to give Hollywood. You should probably be aware, if you’re not already, the Hollywood doesn’t rate its own movies- people do. The selection for a ratings board works similarly to a jury selection.

Instead of relying on someone else to decide what’s good for your children, why not pay attention to the things they want to watch or read, watch it yourself, then decide if it’s appropriate.

• movieguidesucks Says:

Lady, think. If your children see “The Last Airbender” which got a -4 on shitguide.org, they’re not gonna die, or WORSE, turn into black people (which I know you hate since you like that site.)

6. Ad Hominem Says:

Yes, “Ted Baehr is a vampire, he eats kids hearts, he’s actually Hitler who snuck in the US from Brazil after escaping from Germany.” Come on lots of ad hominems. Is this the best we can do? You guys are disgrace to us freethinkers everywhere. The xian fundy’s are going to crucify us with this sort of logic. If you dont like Baehrs private website dont use it. Stop whining for crying out loud. Or deal with the real arguments about why Darwin was not responsible for Hitler. That’s where I spend my energy, not whining like some imbeccillic vain frustrated prima donna teenager.

7. Hville Says:

I am a Christian, and I love this article. So don’t led Ted Baehr and the rest of those fundamentalist bigots mask the truth underneath the religious institution. Any belief that becomes an organized pseudo-corporation is a religion. Jesus stood for a way of living and never advocated any “religion” whatsoever. In fact – he lived his life against the establishment – so Ted Baehr smells more like a pharisee than anything else.

• GusandCall Says:

I agree with Hville. I am a Christian, but I bear no resemblance to Ted Baehr. So many “christians” who are judgemental these days, give us a bad name, and distract everyone from the True Jesus. You are right , he is a Pharisee, stay away from him. Fundamentalists like Baehr, and the “religious right” are a cancer on the true followers of Jesus. so sad

• Sincerely Says:

Dear Hville and GusandCall. You seem to be upset that Ted Baehr is judgmental, yet aren’t you yourselves judging him? I don’t get it. What is a Christian anyway?

8. Delirium Says:

I just stumbled across Baehr’s website, and thought it was okay until I noticed that, in the ‘News’, there’s an article about how ‘homosexuals are more likely to be rapists’. Then I Googled him, and it was a never-ending stream of crazy.
    It isn’t fair that he should be allowed to maintain his site while posting such bizarrely unnecessary and obviously bigoted articles.

My favourite thing about the generation I’m growing up in is that there are so many people from different religions, genders and sexualities who accept each other without question, and recognise that views like Baehr’s are wrong almost automatically.

9. John Z Says:

Screw giving contributions to restore Balbwin. Unlike Baldwin I am a good Christine man that rarely drinks and has never done drugs. I became my mother’s caretaker the last five years of her life until she passed away last April. During this time I took care of her through a broken shoulder, lung cancer, congestive heart failure, heart attack, stroke, and finally a compression fracture that ended her life. While taking care of her I lost my small business, spent all my savings, cashed in my retirement funds, and had two heart attacks myself, the last one just two months ago. Now I can’t seem to find work, my car broke down and doesn’t run, have no health insurance, and the bills are building. Nobody is rushing to help me!!!!!

10. movieguidesucks Says:

PRIME DIRECTIVE 1.: DESTROY TED BAEHR BEFORE HE BRAINWASHES THE WORLD WITH HIS CONSERVATIVE BULLSHIT.

PRIME DIRECTIVE 2.: STOP GLOBAL WARMING.

Yeah, it’s that important.

11. Jay Spring Says:

You people haven’t a clue. Thanks Ted for a job well done. And try to come up with a new word. It seems everyone is a bigot these days . . .

12. Evan Says:

I was doing a search on Ted Baehr and stumbled on this post.
    What a total lack of actually stating “facts” to establish a case.

• admin Says:

I know. Isn’t Ted shocking.

• Bill Johnson Says:

It is great that we have so much freedom that you can rant and rant about Ted Baehr without producing anything but an obviously nastier set of beliefs than what you have accused him of having… The good news is I’ll support you in your wacked out beliefs because you are entitled to them. Just don’t think you’re fooling anyone… Hey here’s a newsflash – Ted Baehr isn’t perfect, and he doesn’t pretend to be. He’s trying to keep kids from watching the trash that Hollywood puts out.. Another news flash – Hollywood puts out more TRASH than they do family friendly movies, tv’s or websites. Give him a break, and beware of glass houses.

• Vikram Bhandari Says:

I totally agree with you Bill. I guess Jesus would say…”The one who has never sinned…be the first to throw the stone at him”. Nobody’s perfect! Love is the key…use it.

• Seek Says:

You want trash? Read Ted Baehr. A man incapable of actually viewing artistic expression from the context of the artist. And yes, he’s of the John Lofton mold — a mean Christian.

13. T.Huxley Says:

As I once said to Charles, “Charles, with this book (Origin of Species) you have killed God.”
    However, as doggedly as I pursued this quest to eliminate God from all that exists, we were never able to find a satisfactory answer to explain how anything could possibly come from nothing. And when we begin with nature only, any personality ascribed to man would essentially be meaningless. Man would always remain a zero, like everything else for that matter, nothing would have any meaning or purpose.
    We worked to rationalize our claims of natural selection as the driving force of Evolution, but ultimately we found nothing could explain everything, nor for anything that could explain Man sufficiently. Charles was apoplectic til his death over this.
    Every possible philosophical avenue was traveled and examined. The findings were startling. For if man is the result of nature only(natural selection, Evolution), then there is nothing in his behavior that is not the continual results of being naturally selected- nature evolving ever higher!
    The results of this natural determination toward the perfection of man, and even beyond, left us realizing that any socio-cultural advance is only the product of intergroup conflict and competition and the socially elect classes, those possessing wealth and power, possess a biological superiority in the struggle for our existence.
    We did not consider that someone like Chancellor Hitler could be such an enthusiastic and literal follower of these concepts. But under close inspection of Charles’ theory of natural selection, we had no way to determine right from wrong, and Heir Hitler was just as natural a rational result as anything else might be.
    Crazy world, huh?

14. nananere Says:

Are you serious ? Racism again…

15. Noel Bernard Montrose Says:

Dear Mr.Baehr,
    Praise The Lord,
    It was a pleasure to get introduced to you through Rev.Dr.C.D.Jebasingh
    I am proud to know the blessings LORD has showered on you, Im a Cinematographer,Director & Writer and connected with the Indian Film Industry presently Im busy making Christian Film ” MUKTIDATA ” ( The Redeemer), and Im also the Editor,The Good News English & Susamachar,Hindi,I hope and pray to God Almighty that you please guide us to spread the message of Our LORD through Audio Visual.
    With regards,
    Sincerely yours.
    In The Service Of Our LORD,
    N.B.Montrose

16. Thé noir Says:

It is great that we have so much freedom

17. King Tut Says:

As you can see Russia and Germany are affected by Darwin:

Germany and Russia want to put 0bama & Michelle in a zoo:

18. Duke Thompson Says:

I had the good fortune to meet the good Dr at my retail job. He was the rudest person I have met. He tried to get me fired because he said I was rude. He went on about how he worked the the US Department and taught at University of Cali. at Berklee. He appeared to be intoxicated too. If he is a man of God, then God needs to distance himself from the good Dr.

• You have no idea Says:

Oh do go on. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard him yell at retail, customer support, his wife, kids, employees, and the rest of the world. So abusive. I’m amazed he’s never actually physically beaten anyone. He certainly is emotionally damaging. He goes on about those things to literally everyone he meets. Don’t forget he also worked for the US attorney, NASA, and how he was almost an olympic skier. And he travels to Russia, Korea, Spain, and everywhere else in the world. It’s sad to see so many people suckered into his way of thinking when all he is is a tantrum-throwing child who hates anyone who does not believe that every word he speaks is gospel truth.

19. The Dark Knight Says:

When Jesus meets this so called “Christian” he will faint.

20. Michael Howell Says:

You are so off base. I have met this man and his lovely family. I found them to be sincere and beautiful. YOU are the problem…the accuser of the brethren a advocate of satan. May your words be condemned to the pits of hell. You have no power no influence over this ministry and in the name of JESUS I come against you and all your plans. Lord Jesus raise up Ted Baehr and his ministry and overcome this insult to your kingdom in the perfect name of Jesus…amen and amen

• Anonymous Says:

Sure, you probably met him because you went to his party or paid him money for his hateful company. He’s nice to those people. If you could see one day of the way he treats anyone who isn’t rich or famous, you’d think twice. He’s what you call a “whitewashed wall.” Sure, he tries to act holy and beautiful and loving, but it’s a facade. If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

21. William Says:

Its amusing reading the hate filled, profanity filled comments accusing Christians of using hate language – and all the while screaming about the audacity of hypocrisy. I guess that is logical on some level?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] This post was Twitted by isabigot […]

2. […] Nope, no slant or agenda there.  It’s completely on the up and up.  Wikipedia gives a good rundown of this moral upstanding hate monger.  Other websites have also chronicled his less than ethical dealings. […]